For the lovers of traditional Honduran cuisine, here´s a delicious and easy recipe to make enchiladas. This is a dish that works well as both a side and a main course because it contains all kinds of food: meat, vegetables, cheese, plantains, potatoes, eggs and tortilla. When it comes to eating these enchiladas, forget the silverware. The only way to eat them is with your hands.
- 5 tortillas
- 1/2 thinly sliced cabbage
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion
- 1 green pepper
- 4 ripe red tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- 1/2 cup grated white or Parmesan cheese
- 1 large potato
- 1/2 plantain
- 1 chicken or beef bouillon cube
- 1/8 of a teaspoon of achiote powder
- Oil for frying (depending on the size of the skillet)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (for the sauce)
- Cumin to taste
- A sprig of cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven filled with water cook the potatoes over medium to medium high heat, and dice the potatoes and eggs.
- Place three teaspoons of vegetable oil on skillet over medium to medium high heat. Cook half the chopped onion, the garlic, the tomato, the green pepper and then add the meat until meat is no longer pink. Season with cumin, salt and pepper to taste, and set aside.
- For the sauce, cook the tomatoes in two quart saucepan over, until water boils for five minutes and then place them under running cold water so the skin comes off. Blend the previously cooked tomatoes with the green pepper, the onion and the cilantro. Heat the mixture in a skillet with olive oil, garlic and a chicken or beef bouillon cube.
- Fry plantains and tortillas until golden brown and drain them in a bowl lined with paper towel to get rid of the excess oil.
- Once done, place two or three tablespoons of meat, cabbage, diced egg, plantain, potatoes (optional) and tomato over the tortilla. Pour some sauce and lastly sprinkle with cheese.
- You can substitute Parmesan cheese for the grated cheese.
- Use salt in moderation, as the bouillon cube already contains salt.
- An enchilada may be a side dish or it can easily be the main course.