Enjoy this rice that´s made with pigeon peas and bacon - a tasty side dish.
- 4 strips bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 2 packets (from 1.41-oz box) coriander and annatto seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked regular medium-grain white rice, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed green olives
- 1 can (15 oz) green pigeon peas, drained
- 1 can (4 oz) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- In 3-quart saucepan, cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp; remove from skillet. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic; cook and stir about 3 minutes or until onions are tender. Add oregano and seasoning packets; cook and stir about 3 minutes.
- Add rice to saucepan; cook and stir about 5 minutes. Add water, olives, peas, tomato sauce and capers; stir to blend. Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover; cook 20 to 25 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from heat; stir in bacon and cilantro. Cover; let stand 5 minutes before serving.
1 Serving; Calories 240 ( Calories from Fat 35), Total Fat 6g(Saturated Fat 5g, Trans Fat: 0g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 16mg, Total Carbohydrate 14g (Dietary Fiber 16g, Sugars 2g), Protein 7g; Percent Daily Values*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 8%, Calcium 6%, Iron 15%;* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.