Surprise your boyfriend with this delicious chocolate cake on Valentine's day. An easy-to-make dessert with a lovely end result. You can serve this cake without decorating it or you can sprinkle it with confectionery sugar. You can also cover it with your favorite chocolate frosting and decorate it with strawberries or raspberries. It doesn´t matter what you choose, I am sure that you'll please your better half and even your kids if you have no one to care for of them that night.
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup powder baking cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup espresso coffee or 2 teaspoons instant powder coffee
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup dulce de leche (caramel)
- 9 oz heavy cream
- 4 oz unsweetened chocolate (100% cacao)
- 3 tablespoons confectionery sugar
- 2 teaspoons softened butter
- How to make the cake: Heat the oven to 350 °F. Grease and sprinkle flour on two round baking pans (9 inches) or a rectangular baking pan (13x9x2 inches).
- With electric mixer, mix sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, butter, coffee, oil and vanilla, beating at a medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour dough evenly in 9-inch pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes if baking on the round pans, from 35 to 40 minutes for the rectangular pan or until a toothpick comes out clean after inserted on the cake.
- Let it cool for 10 minutes before removing them from the pans, place them on a wire rack.
- How to make the chocolate cover: Put the heavy cream to boil. Remove from heat and add chocolate in small chunks, so it melts. Stir with spatula and mix quickly.
- Once completely mixed, add the confectionary sugar (powdered sugar) previously sifted and mix well again.
- Lastly, add the butter in little batches; continue to mix.
- Using a teaspoon, open the center of the heart from the top. Add approximately 1 teaspoon dulce de leche; top with the chocolate mix. Don't forget to place a wide plate underneath to catch the drips of chocolate during this process.
- You can use the chocolate of your choice or use the already made frosting chocolate from Betty Crocker™.
- Decorate with strawberries or raspberries.